Grinches come in all forms, but one that especially dampens the holiday spirit is a porch pirate.
That's right, believe it or not, some folks see packages left on porches as a prime (crime) opportunity. Sadly, we see upticks in package thefts particularly during the holiday season. To help minimize thefts in your neighborhoods, we wanted to pass along some tips!
1. Did you know you can schedule your package delivery for a time that you are home? That’s right! Be home when your gifts arrive so you can make sure they are safely delivered. You can also have your packages delivered to your work during business hours.
2. If you feel comfortable doing so, you can have the package either delivered to a neighbor or have a neighbor pick up the package from your front porch and keep it for you until you get home. If you are an Amazon user, you can take advantage of Amazon Locker, where you can pick up your package from local pickup locations.
3. If something is stolen, file a police report IMMEDIATELY. Don’t wait. If your package was shipped from the U.S. Postal Service, they will actually be the investigating agency so file a stolen package report with them as soon as possible.
4. You can always require signatures on all of your package deliveries. That means that the package you are having delivered has to be signed by you in order for the delivery service to give it to you. Otherwise, they leave a note on your door telling you where the package can be picked up (usually at a local delivery store).
5. Sign up for delivery alerts from the shipper — you’ll know as soon as it’s delivered!
We want you to be able to have a fun, happy holiday season, as stress-free as possible. Please, share these tips with your neighbors, and if you have any questions, just let us know! We As always, stay safe, Mountain View!